Wednesday, March 15, 2006

American Idol 40 +

I watched American Idol last night. Yes, I must admit that I am a fan. I don't know why. I really don't listen to pop culture music, I don't really like the judges much, I'm not a fan of the name "Ryan" (now, even more so), and most times the singers are wearing less than I wear at bed time. And the word IDOL stirs up some bad connotations.... Sooo..... I think I watch because I remember the times I stood in front of the bathroom mirror with my toothbrush in hand, belting out "My Country Tis of Thee" - and imagining the cheers and ooohs and aahs that a great performer like me is receiving at the great Kennedy Center. (Never the Grand Ole Opry because I only saw performers with gingham on, and, really gingham never looked good on me. We won't discuss the Dolly Pardonness dresses.) And, how after I sang, I would sign autographs and everyone wanted to be like me. And, because this was my imagination during the tough junior high years full of self-doubt, confusion, and a face full of acne, I would think about my five year high school reunion. And imagine seeing the jealousy highlighted on the face of the classmate who use to make fun of me unmercilessly - who was now 20 pounds overweight, had five children, two exhusbands, and a premier job at Walmart's shoe department. And I would graciously give her an autograph and say, "Daaarrrlinnnngggg." And then turn away and go on with my most glamous life. I would imagine all this as I started my next song entitled "Home on the Range" or a great classic "the Star-Spangled Banner". I would shake, rattle, and roll in front of that bathroom mirror, waving the toothbrush as my microphone, hearing the roar of the applause in my head..... until..... the banging on the locked bathroom door interupts the concert of a lifetime.... not an announcer, but my brother yelling, "What are you doing?! Let me in! I have to go!"

Bummer about houses with only one bathroom and five kids.... Never got much further in my singing career than the bathroom mirror. But, I do play a mean radio AND I have a beautiful voice in the shower. So, while I watch American Idol, I see myself somewhere in one of them. Wishing I was 20 years younger, having a much better voice, and a more gracious reason why I would want to be an American Idol than as a revenge factor, I enjoy watching.... imagining.... planning.... thinking.... Ummm, Do you think maybe there would be American Idol 40+?

Wouldn't that be cool? I could say on TV, after I have won the title of American Idol 40+, "Wow! Thanks, God! I am blessed!"

2 comments:

melanie said...

you are the nut!!! your bathroom episodes inspired my billy joel concerts! between survivor, american idol, the amazing race, austrailia, and what else??... you are going to have a busy year! did god give you a heart of adventure or what??
i love you! i think you could do it!

Natalie Joy said...

Have you been in my head? Did you invade MY high school dreams? I had a lot of fun at my 10 year this last September, because I AM blessed and I DO have a great life. AND so do you!!!