Monday, March 20, 2006

How Awesome is That?

Yesterday, I got a great email from my brother who is 38 and serving in Iraq. He has been there for 2 weeks. When he is in the states he lives with his beautiful wife Christine and two gorgeous daughters, Jessica (5) and Baylee (almost 3). (Jessi looks like me!) And since they live four hours away, I see them maybe once a month. They are a phone call away, but I may call or I may not. Either way, I know that they are in the states, they are relatively safe. I don't worry. If I don't hear or see them for a long period of time, I know in the back of my mind, I will see them soon - just like the rest of my family. Yes, as we all do, it is taken much for granted that we will see our loved ones the next week, the next month, even the next day.

Now, I have finally heard from my brother after only two weeks away but 2000 miles away, and I think... "I miss him." I receive a great email from my brother - about 10 words in cryptic code - and think about where he is and what he is doing. And I cry. And I worry. And I think. And most of all I pray.... because I know that my brother's safety and his livelihood is truly in God's hands. It says we do not know the hour nor the time that He will call each one of us home. Even as a Christian we are not guaranteed that we won't have trials, tribulations, sorrows, hurts, misunderstandings, etc., - in fact, we are to carry our cross and follow him - and we will be persecuted and put to the test. And to top it off - all that happens to us we are to count it great joy!

I pray that my brother will come home safe and whole and that the experiences he receives while serving his country for my freedom and the Iraqis freedoms will make him become an even greater and stronger man than he is now - one full of compassion and love for the more unfortunate. (Remember the beatitudes?) That throughout his service, he will be a blessing to those that he serves, whether his army buddies or the Iraqis (And don't let the media fool you! There are millions of Iraqis who are beyond grateful to have the American troops on their soil liberating and helping them build up a new nation). And I know through my faithfulness to pray for my brother and others in the same situation, I become a stronger and greater woman of God. And... the cool thing is.... God calls us to pray! We have the power to move God's heart through our prayers! Like, how awesome is that? So, through my prayer, I say, Thanks, God! I am blessed!

1 comment:

melanie said...

psalm 91
love you darling