Tuesday, March 21, 2006

My Muslim Students Whom God Loves

I am a teacher.

I have taught eight years in a private Christian school. During these years of teaching, I had awesome students (for the most part) who loved the Lord and were committed to academic excellence. These students were supported in their faith and schooling excellence by parents who gave big dollar amount for a Christian education - wanting the Word and the Christian character to be taught and encouraged in the classroom alongside the three R's: Reading, riting, and rithmetic. Even though I dealt with some behavior problems, had long hours of planning and correcting, and overcommited myself to after school activities like speech meet, drama club, and yearbook - I look back now and think I had it easy. The classroom and hallway environments were full of the Spirit of the Lord. Prayer was rampant in the classrooms and my English lessons incorporated many Christian principles. Trials? They consisted of students who didn't get his work in and the frustrations that go with that .... Tribulations? Maybe a slight disagreement with a colleague on how to grade a particular project.... Persecution? Ummm... not really....

I now teach at a charter school in the inner city whose population is primarily 80% Somalian. Thse students have parents who were war refuges - and have been displaced in the world. They have traveled through many countries and struggled through much hardship to get to the land of opportunity: America. Many of my students take ESL classes: English as a Second Language. Many are below grade level. Many find writing and reading English hard. Many come from homes where I and my friends would find the beliefs antiquated: Women are second class citizens, boys and men are looked at as the favored ones in the household, etc. And many of them are of the Muslim faith....

Eek! Muslim? I have many friends question why I would as a Christian want to teach Muslim students. "Doesn't your spirit war with their spirits?" "How do you stay true to your Christian beliefs if you must support them in their Muslim customs and beliefs?" "Your brother is fighting against people like your students - why, a Muslim could kill your brother... and you support that!?" "Aren't Muslims getting an education here in the states so that they can learn the American customs and later use that knowledge to kill Americans?" "Are some of your students suicide bombers?" "Muslims hate Christians - do they know you are a Christian?"

Lots of questions. Here's what I know: I have never been more challenged in my faith as a Christian than this year teaching in a school of primarily Muslim children. I have grown and, hopefully can say I have gotten stronger in my Christian walk. I have a greater love and appreciation for my Lord Jesus Christ - seeing the differences between the Muslim faith of blame and works and the Christian faith of love and forgiveness (and grace). I have seen the power of Christ and noticed the lack of power in the dead Mohammad. But most importantly, I have seen the opportunities that God has given me to speak about my faith in a non threatening, non confrontive, trusting way. I have developed a relationship of trust with my students - and so when I have a student say to me one day, "Miss Jacobs, we are studying the human body and its limitations. How on earth did your Jesus ever hang on a cross for hours and hours?" Yes! What a great opening... and going from that question to "Why would your Jesus ever want to put Himself through that much pain and suffering?" Well, let me tell you why...... (could I get a better opening to share the gospel?)............

I had a great time at my private Christian school because it was a great bunch of kids that knew they were loved by God and lived their lives knowing that. I will never regret those years and I count them all joy...

But, too, I am having a great time at my charter school because it has a great bunch of kids who are loved by God and He wants me to share Him with them - what an honor, what a priviledge, what a challenge! I look into big brown eyes and see what God sees in them: His children. And I imagine them living and then dying and not knowing the One who created them and loved them - being separated for all eternity.... and it breaks my heart. (Can't even imagine what it does to God's heart. I shudder at the thought.)

Pray for me - those who understand the compassion and love Jesus Christ has for the lost souls of the Muslim nation. Today at school, because of the priviledge I am given, I say, "Thanks, God. I am blessed."

2 comments:

melanie said...

what an opprotunity these children have to come from the ends of the earth to your classroom -unlike the kids Chris sees. to find that they matter, girl or boy, jew or gentile, and that they are loved. you have a divine appointment which only you can fill.

Heth said...

Jumping in a little late to say, God bless you for taking on this challenge. It sounds like you are right where God wants you and that you are making a difference in those kids' lives. Keep up the good work.